Art Director. Premier Media Group, Tacoma WA, December 2011-present.
- Oversee a team of print and digital designers in producing four magazines and their related websites: 425, South Sound, South Sound Business, and 425 Business.
- Create concepts for covers, articles, photography, and illustration, balancing tight deadlines with ambitious and strategic big-picture goals. Direct the look and feel of all print and digital products, including magazines, websites, editorial and marketing newsletters, and social media campaigns. Ensure that every issue achieves the exceptional quality that readers and advertisers expect, adhering to brand standards and guidelines. Direct and oversee photo shoots. Nurture relationships with freelance photographers and illustrators to keep the magazines fresh and dynamic. Develop and adhere to brand standards and style guides for all four brands. Keep current on design trends and technology.
- Manage the design and print production process for 42 magazine issues per year as well as marketing materials and live event collateral. Produce the yearly production schedule for all four brands and ensure that it is met across the entire design and editorial team — since 2011 we have never missed a deadline. Prioritize and plan resources given tight deadlines and budget constraints.
- Responsible for hiring, training, and mentoring a team of designers. Gather input and creative ideas from other designers and writers. Lead with a clear vision while staying adept at delegating. Communicate creative direction to team and give clear feedback. Present ideas to clients and other company leaders. Coordinate IT and equipment needs for creative team.
- Direct the design team through company expansion and growth. Created processes and standards to help take the company from two publications and 12 issues per year, to four publications and 42 issues per year. Contribute to development, strategy, and goals at a leadership level, such as planning for and creating the company's marketing department, digital/social media department, and numerous live events.
Contract Graphic Designer. PATH, Seattle WA, November-December 2011.
Designed printed collateral including brochures, factsheets, and magazines, adhering to PATH branding guidelines. Developed infographics, charts, and diagrams for print and web.
Contract Graphic Designer. Blankslate Creative, Seattle WA, October-November 2011.
Assisted in the design and production of marketing collateral, websites, posters, advertisements, and digital billboards for clients including Microsoft and the Point Defiance Zoo.
Contract Graphic Designer. j.logan design, Seattle WA, May-September 2011
Created packaging, print materials, logos, and web pages. Designed icons, diagrams, and charts. Retouched and reworked images. Photographed products for packaging. Created dielines. Clients included Microsoft, Red Mango Frozen Yogurt, Progressive Kitchenware, Takeya USA, and DaVinci Gourmet.
Communications Specialist. Connell School of Nursing, Boston College, March 2008-August 2010
Designed and produced printed materials, including magazines, brochures, posters, advertisements, and large-scale graphics for events. Responsible for maintenance and development of website and related blogs, including writing content and providing photos and graphics. Coordinated photography and events. Managed distribution of apparel and promotional items. Assisted in development and implementation of marketing strategies, including direct mail and email marketing campaigns.
Design: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, InVision, HTML, CSS, WordPress
Editorial: Experienced writer, skilled at proofreading and copyediting
Fine Arts: Illustration, hand lettering, photography, printmaking, bookmaking
Language: Fluent in Spanish
BA in Graphic Design and BA in Spanish, Willamette University, Salem OR, 2006
Fundamentals of UX, School of Visual Concepts (SVC), Seattle WA, 2018
Advanced Photoshop, SVC, 2012
Web Design, SVC, 2011
HTML/CSS, SVC, 2011
Calligraphy, Cambridge Center for Adult Education. Cambridge MA, 2010
Typography, SVC, 2017
Intermediate Graphic Design, SVC, 2006
Letterpress, SVC, 2006
Graphic Design, Pierce College, Tacoma WA, 2005
Volunteer coach, Seattle Music Partners (mentorship program providing free music lessons to students in Seattle low-income schools), 2016-current
Pro bono design work, Seattle Music Partners, 2017
Violinist, Lake Union Civic Orchestra, 2006-2008 and 2011-current